Saturday, September 5, 2009

Walking in a (warm) winter wonderland

Since I've left Melbourne, I've been in mourning for the wonders that is Melbourne's Camberwell Sunday Market. Chaz and I (with Snakes and BigAd) used to go every Sunday morning, which is a huge feat for me considering I detest waking early without a life or death reason. We'd spend the day roaming around the stalls, examining the curiosities others have put up for sale, while having highly amusing debates trying to persuade each other why we should totally put down that top/skirt/kitschy phone in the shape of a grand piano (regret, Chaz!). Other times, I'd go alone and just wander around soaking in the disgustingly early sunshine while nibbling on a chocolate croissant. Okay, lies. I don't nibble, I chomp. It's certainly one of my most recommended places to visit while in Melbourne and I miss it rather dearly especially since I've been unable to find an equal venue here in Malaysia.

Last Saturday though I happened to be around Amcorp Mall and figured I'd drop by for their acclaimed weekend flea market, purported to be one of the oldest, if not oldest, flea market in the Klang Valley. Oh my gosh! So much brilliant hidden treasures waiting in this historic flea market! There's a damn good reason it's been around for as long as it has (11 years?) and the friendly folks and great wares on offer are it, I reckon. Suddenly, I've found an equal for Camberwell! I spent my time talking to this gentleman about his collection of vintage typewriters where he told me about really old models I never even thought capable of existing. I also purchased a 1960s vintage suitcase from Mrs Lee who has an amazing collection of vintage bags for sale!

I also thrifted this knitted sweater which reminded me a lot of Liv Tyler's outfit in one of my favourite movies from the 90s, Empire Records. Although technically, come to think of it, it's so much more like the sweater A.J. wore instead.

Winterwear in summerweather
Knitted sweater: Thrifted, Top: F.O.S, Skirt: Dangerfield, Necklace: eBay


And yes, knitwear in tropical climate? Thank goodness for freezing air-conditioned offices that help justify the thicker material! There are so many things I miss about Melbourne. I'm just glad that there's one less thing to miss about that beautiful city.

6 comments:

Coco said...

I've been to the Amcorp Mall flea market too and I LOVE it! So under-rated compared with all the other KL markets, and dirt cheap.

eighteeneleven said...

What's this? A new post? Gasp!

I actually havent been to Camberwell in a long while. I think I need someone to motivate me to wake up. Haha. (That phone was SILLY!!! =P)

Also, please bring me there when I visit!

-k said...

Coco: Yessssss! It's unadulterated goodness.

eighteeneleven: I've been slacking, I know! I'm very sorry! And shush. That piano phone was ballllllssssss awesome.

If you come visit, I'll take you everywhere!

-k said...

Coco: Yessssss! It's unadulterated goodness.

eighteeneleven: I've been slacking, I know! I'm very sorry! And shush. That piano phone was ballllllssssss awesome.

If you come visit, I'll take you everywhere!

Madeleine said...

I am in total love with your outfit, that skirt is amazing and so is knit. Great blog btw :)

ED said...

Love the knitted sweater! And I like your blog, will add you to my list =D