Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Challenge.


For the past few weeks, my lack of sartorial inspiration has lead me to wear variations of the same outfits over and over again. So, to spice things up a bit as well as to make use of the other 80% of my clothes, this week I will try to wear at least one piece that I have hardly / never worn.

First up: Jeans and Whites

I know it's probably mostly in my head, but I always feel sort of silly and weird when I wear jeans. I don't know why, but I always end up feeling mildly awkward in them. For me, it just feels more natural to grab a pair of tights and skirts/shorts then to reach for my jeans. Same with the colour white. I always feel 'off' wearing them, and even when I do, I have this urge to cover it up, as you can see. Even though I think that the jeans and white tee combination looks really great on others, a kind of fresh, classic, causal summer look, I just don't like how it looks on me.




Cassette Society white shirt (thrifted); Country Road cardi (my mom's); Ink jacket; Zara jeans; blue ring (made by my mom); Payless patent black flats

8 comments:

-k said...

You know you could really pull off skinny jeans. They'd fall very nicely on you! Anyhow, I like this. The layering makes it look comfy casual chic.

Next challenge, I propose: No black (apart from accessories) for a WHOLE week!

catherine_sr. said...

I love the layered cardis! And I agree with you about jeans and white tees. I think you pull it off wonderfully, but I feel weird wearing any sort of trousers after having worn almost exclusively skirts for so long and white t-shirts just make me feel exposed (not to mention spill-prone).

eighteeneleven said...

@Kaz: Eh. I already have issues with wearing straight cut jeans, let alone skinnies. I think I've narrowed it down to being pear-shaped and having short legs. =(

@Catherine: Yeah, I agree. I would choose skirts over pants any day. Haha.

in between thoughts said...

what! I think you look great in this outfit (love the colors and layers). it's funny you say you feel off when wearing jeans because I'm the opposite and feel self-conscious in tights + shorts/skirts. I'm evolving though, I think.

Rebecca Ryder-Galardo said...

You look great. I can never keep white *white*, you know? The white tee and jeans does look very clean and has a simple elegance IF it's kept clean and pristine.

eighteeneleven said...

@in between thoughts: Hopefully I can evolve as well, because jeans are just so versatile that it's quite a shame that I don't wear them more often.

@Rebecca: I'm always worried about getting my whites dirty as well, so much so that I'll avoid eating anything that splashes. Haha.

Anna said...

haha we're opposites then! i am instantly drawn to white pieces haha. so much so that my friend caleb FROWNS when i even start to approach a white tee/dress/skirt on a rack. i used to be a massively jeans person but lately, not so much. when i do wear jeans, it's only for work. it's way too hot to wear jeans outisde, i realise. so, shorts, skirts and dresses for me.

and excuse me? you have short legs? then what are mine? stumps?

eighteeneleven said...

But white is just so... white. Haha. Nope can't do it. Even when I try wearing white shirts, I'd always have to wear something over it, or be constantly fidgeting over it.

Yessss... Every time I come back to singapore I wonder how people can wear jeans! It's so hot! I don't even wear jeans here during winter. Haha.

And yes!! I have short legs! My torso is longer, so my legs are short. Boo. :(