Sunday, January 4, 2009

Urban Addiction


Despite my deep and mostly unwavering love for Urban Outfitters, I really hate their inconsistencies in pricing. Not only do sale items vary between stores, their prices do as well. In addition, prices of items online can sometimes be vastly different to that of the stores.

Take for instance, this jacket. While it's currently $70 - an additional 25% + shipping online, I bought it today in stores for $19.99 + tax. Quite a huge difference.

And that's not even the only item that had a discrepancy in its price.

This tuxedo jacket is almost $30 cheaper in stores compared to the website. However, unlike the cameras online, in store lomo cameras are not on discount, and neither are the large majority of the accessories I saw. Full priced online tights are very often discounted in stores as well.

So the moral of this story is to always take a peek in various UO stores (if possible) before committing to your items online. Don't worry UO, even though I don't like having to check around for the cheapest price, I can't seem to quit you, and still spend waaaaaay too much time and money on you.

PS> Do you think I should keep the first jacket? I'm having slight buyer's remorse about it. Also, do you think I should get the second jacket?

PPS> You know you have a shopping problem when despite running out of both cash and baggage allowance for the flight home, you continue to shop like you own a private jet. Current shopping damage sits at 4 pairs of shoes, 2 jackets, 1 top, 1 dress, countless tights, a couple of hats and other accessories, and I still have 6 weeks to go.

Send help.

5 comments:

-k said...

No to the first jacket. Give it back, it's pretty generic and I'm sure you could get a better one elsewhere. But yes to the vest. I could see you getting lots of use out of it!

megan said...

The tuxedo vest is cool. I love vests...
I love Urban Outfitters but can't actually afford to buy anything there really. Whenever I go in I head straight for the sale rack.

megan / http://mallratcouture.blogspot.com

eighteeneleven said...

Kaz => I don't know about the vest cause it's nipped in at the waist, and it even gave the model hips, so can you imagine what it'll do for people with actual hips (aka me)?

Megan => Haha, that's totally what I do when I go into UO as well. I only hit the sales section.

-k said...

Good point Chaz. But go try it on in stores to see how it looks. Different people, different looks, right?

samsqtch said...

No to the first, yay to the second- I tried it on and it looked okay? (but could NOT afford it- thought of you, though!) It's one of those where it gives hips if you wear it fitting, I think. This post was from ages ago- outcome update, please?