Thursday, December 4, 2008

Me + sewing machine + polyester fabric = fail

Over the weekend while I was down with the flu, I went a wee bit overboard with my mother's sewing machine and altered up a storm. Perhaps it was a bit ambitious using the machine without any prior knowledge to alter the first garment that so happens to be made from soft polyester silk. The result, as the Interwebs would say, is utter fail.

Uneven hem

Dress: Thrifted, Belt: Hand me down/Mum's, Shoes: Far East Plaza.


The hem is ridiculously uneven - short in front, longer behind and not straight on all sides. You can see it slightly from the front, but it's very obvious from the side. I am a big fan of improvising, but in retrospect I really should have taken my mum's advice and not quite 'bang and do' the alteration. She's been smirking all day, an "I told you so" just waiting to pop out at any second. I like to think I'm pioneering a new trend - the uneven hem. But really, I'm much too lazy to unpick the seams and redo everything.

Thankfully this was the only garment that came out wonky. Everything else actually came out better than I expected. Also, let me, the village r-tard marvel at how much faster alterations are done when using a machine. Like, whoa!

5 comments:

Mrs.Zeus said...

I've been meaning to get my hands on a sewing machine too.
I think you did great hemming the dress, I think I can do better hand stitching than attempting on sewing machine.

You look so adorable!

eighteeneleven said...

So jealous that you have access to a sewing machine. According to my mom we have one somewhere as well. Love the prints!

-k said...

Mrs Zeus: Thanks! I think I tend to be more careful while hand stitching. But it's just so much quicker with a machine!

eighteeneleven: Get a mini portable one, so you can bring it back to Aus with you when you go back. Shouldn't cost much, I think.

Violet said...

I had something like that happen to me, when I tried to turn a stretch polyester dress into a top. The hem was uneven and bubbly so I had to throw it out. Afterwards I found out that it helps to iron on some special interfacing to the hem to give it some heft and stiffness, before you hem it up.

-k said...

That is such great advice. When I re-alter this dress I'll definitely follow your tips!