Saturday, July 26, 2008

For Nick... some sort of explanation

In response to Nick's comment in my previous post (which has unfortunately raised his ire) about the rights and wrong of fashion, I suppose the only reply I have is this; that original question is born from both my fashion-illiteracy and my supposed 'open-mindedness'. Let me explain.

As I've mentioned before, I come from a background that's not exactly fashion conscious. For the longest time I lived in t-shirt and jeans, which isn't to say bad, but I'm definitely more experimental when it comes to wardrobe selections these days. I am mostly going on instinct and a trial-by-error basis here. So unfortunately I don't really know what's right and wrong, or if there even is a right and wrong. When I discuss fashion choices with my friends I am always amazed at how they have self-imposed fashion rules and the rigidity with which they follow it by. When you read fashion and style blogs/magazines, there are always rules created by some 'god of fashion' - what's hot, what's not, trends etc. The point is, conventionally speaking, there seems to be some sort of code people,
from the everyday person to fashion editors, dress by. What I wanted to know was where the line is drawn in terms of what is considered appropriate/pretty/ugly.

And with regards to your comment about my open-mindedness, wouldn't it actually be within character then to ask such a question if I am supposedly open-minded? To be acting out of character would be to denounce and write-off something or someone without question, no?

Blah blah. This post has gone on much longer than I wanted it to. I'm off to bed now.

I love sleeping


Jacket: remixed, T-shirt: Genki, Scarve worn as belt: thrifted, Skirt: Duchess, Tights: Safeway, Shoes: I've had it so long I don't remember where I first bought it from.

3 comments:

Krissy said...

aww your shirt is so cute!

eighteeneleven said...

When did you get that shirt?? It's quite awesome.

-k said...

krissy: Thanks!

eighteeneleven: I got that shirt during the Genki sale when you were away. I tried finding an appropriate 'I love...' shirt for you but none of those on sale suited you.