Saturday, June 28, 2008

I just don't get: Self-deprecation.

I don't understand why people, females particularly, who post pictures of themselves apologize for how they look in pictures. I read a lot of blogs and it's really bugging me to see pretty pictures with the note of an apology for the state of their hair/make up/attire. And what gets my goat is that in most of these pictures, the girl in question looks great! I mean, if you're going to apologize for anything, perhaps the crappy quality of the picture would be a better option?

Is it some kind of safety net device? Like before people can call you out on looking crappy, you somehow preempt that by putting that little blurb? I really hope not. Self-deprecation perhaps? I don't know. I like to think this little thing called self-confidence still exists. I understand that everything on the Internet is open to ridicule and mockery, and as it is, it takes a lot of guts to put yourself out there, but there's really no need to slip in the warning label. I wish people would understand that and just rock the hell out of the image they so choose to publish themselves as.

Self-deprecation as a whole, I'm not a big fan of. The humour, if used sparingly or by the Brits, can be quite refreshing but an excess of it leads to a case of the Debbie Downers. It just all seems so damn passive-aggressive, really. Often times people cross the line from humour to bitterness, which is right about when things get awkward and everybody refuses to look each other in the eye. Good, fun times, guys.

No comments: